NEW LISKEARD GOLF CLUB

 

Monday, August 8, 2011

 

NLGC Clubhouse 6:30 pm

 

1)     DIRECTORS PRESENT:

Ivan Dewar, Ross Latter, Diane Aquino, Brian Flaxey, Darrell Christo, Jeff Stanley, Joe Marsh, Mike Bonnah, Pat Elliott

 

2)     DIRECTORS ABSENT:

 

3)     NON-DIRECTORS PRESENT:

Bruce Helbig, Corey Philips

 

4)     CALL TO ORDER:

The meeting was called to order at 6:30 pm by Acting President Ivan Dewar

 

5)     ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA:

Report by Corey Philips:

Everything is looking very good on the course.The green on #13 is coming along nicely.Dyes have been added to the ponds on #2, #12 and #13.However it is too late in the season to have much effect.The pond on #2 will continue to be a problem.It must be decided as towhether we want water or not.If we want to maintain the pond, the dam at the bridge must be repaired so that a higher level of water will be maintained.This will reduce the amount of vegetation.The ponds on #12 and #13 are land locked and there is not much can be done at this time.

 

Ivan has cut down a number of trees on #13.The stumps need to be removed.Brownlee Equipment has a stump grinder.Last time we rented it at a cost of $150.00 per day.There are also stumps on #11 as well as other holes that should be removed.

 

The sand trap in the dog leg on #12 fairway has been removed and the grass is growing in.However, it was feltthere needed to be some sort of aiming point.Some grasses or flowering shrubs were suggested as well as removing a couple of trees so that there was one significant tree to aim at.

 

Corey also suggested that it is time to start looking at equipment.He and Ivan are attempting to come up with some sort of 5-year plan as a number of pieces of equipment are getting up in kilometers.Some of the equipment has back-up but most do not.Corey also suggested that Toro (despite there promises when the equipment was obtained) have not been very reliable for maintenance.He felt that John Deere would be more reliable and possibly give us a better deal.He and Ivan will continue to look into this.

 

Corey has confirmed that he will continue on as a consultant.He is encouraging Philip to rewrite his exam for spraying.

 

Report by Bruce Helbig:

Bruce stated that one of this Boardís priorities needs to be looking into replacing the grounds crew as well as a new superintendant in the near future.It was suggested we need to start advertising in a number of places.It was suggested that approach Haileybury Golf Club and hire a well-qualified superintendant to do both courses.

 

6)     ADOPTION OF THE July 11, 2011 MINUTES:

Motion to accept the Minutes as presented:

Moved by Joe Marsh, seconded byDarrell Christo††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† CARRIED††

 

7)     BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES:

The problem with cart storage has been resolved.The gentlemen will continue to use it this year and will give it up at the end of the season.

Plans for a bag drop and a handicapped parking spot are in the works.

The Junior tournament went well.Thanks to those who volunteered their time.

 

8)     COMMITTEE REPORTS:

a)     Greens:

Nothing additional to report (see Coreyís report above)

 

b)     Pro Shop:

Need to have meeting about wages by the end of the year as there have been some problems with the pro shop closing due to inclement weather.Inventory in the shop has been selling.Gift certificates as prizes is a good way of reducing inventory.

 

c)      Club House:

Ross has talked to Zantes about cleaning out the Ladies Locker Room.This is about Ĺ way completed.However the freezer has ended up in there and Ross is not aware of the reason for this move.

Ross is still looking into the liquor license.He was told everything is fine.

Pat has some questions about the operation of the bar cart especially on the weekends in the morning it is very hot and the course is very full.After some discussion it was decided that for the amount of sales that would be recovered it is not worth it.Alternatives were also discussed but they too presented too many problems.Bruce suggested that if someone was in need of water, they could phone the pro shop and he would see to delivering it.

 

d)     Finances:

Ross reported that there is no up-to-date statement.However, we have not had to borrow so far this year.Unfortunately he has had to refund a 5-year membership.He is hoping we will be able to ride out the year.

Bruce reported that green fees were down slightly from last year largely due to a later opening.

 

e)     Tournaments:

The Junior Tournament was held.There were 19 participants.Unfortunately there were no girls(However, there have been a number of girls taking part in the clinics.)There was a slight problem due to the change in start time from 9am to 10 am.This needs to be better coordinated.Also we need to put advertisements in the schools in May.

The Civic Tournament was held on the long weekend with only 53 participants.After much discussion, it was determined that we need to form a committee to look into revitalizing it or kill it.

Thanks to Bruce and staff for all the hard work they do for tournaments.

The Ladies 3-person Scramble is set to go on September 10.

The Grantís 3-man Scramble is also coming up on September 17.It was decided that we needed to look at the manner in which this is sponsored.Darrell will look into it.

f)        Advertising:

There is only one sign outstanding at this time.

 

g)     Planning:

Mike presented a proposal the fee structure be changed for next year.He proposed that the fees remain the same but an additional amount of money be added that would go directly to paying down our debts.There were a number of proís and conís discussed.It was decided to defer discussion until the next meeting.

 

h)      Membership:

Joe has given all the membership information to Penny Graydon who is working on it.

 

Motion to accept Committee Reports as accepted:

Moved by Joe Marsh, seconded by Mike Bonnah†††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††††† CARRIED†† †††††††††††††††††

 

9)     NEW BUSINESS:

The Annual Meeting was discussed.It was proposed that we need to have it earlier in the year so that the Directors become have more time to get things set up before winter.It was pointed out that we need to be better prepared.We will discuss it in more detail at the September meeting.Mike pointed out that we need to solicit members to attend and we need to stress that the members need to volunteer to help if things are to continue.

There was some discussion about Menís Nights.Decisions were deferred.

 

10) MOTION TO ADJOURN:

Moved byBrian Flaxey that this meeting be adjourned at 9:05 pm.

The next meeting is scheduled for 6:30 pm onSeptember 12th in the NLGC Clubhouse.