NEW LISKEARD GOLF CLUB
MONDAY NOVEMBER 01, 2010
CHAMBER OF COMMERCE 6:30 PM
Brian Flaxey, Mike Bonnah, Ivan Dewar, Darrell Christo, Pat Elliot
NON - DIRECTORS PRESENT
Bruce Helbig, Corey Phillips
CALL TO ORDER
The meeting was called to order at 6:30 PM by the president Chuck Needham.
ADDITIONS TO THE AGENDA
ADOPTION OF THE OCTOBER 04, 2010 MINUTES
Motion to accept the October 04, 2010 minutes as presented
Moved by Joe Marsh, seconded by Penny Graydon
BUSINESS ARISING FROM THE MINUTES
- Fire Inspector conducted a follow up inspection. We had 12 deficiencies and
have corrected 3 of them. The remaining 9 will be completed as soon as possible.
- Mike Bonnah will contact Jamie Norris to follow up on the Junior Golf program
for the New
- The course was put to bed properly.
- Next year should be an early start.
- Want to embark on training another employee in Integrated Pesticide Management.
- $11,500.00 for fertilizer next season.
- Cleaned out the brush to the left of # 12 green to increase air flow to the green.
- The island in the waste bunker on #13 was discussed.
- The Bridge Tournament rental exposed a number of deficiencies in our rental strategy for the off season. In a nut shell, we were not prepared when they arrived and it reflected poorly on our organization. If we are to continue to pursue off season rentals we will need a comprehensive overhaul of our rental strategy that includes 3rd party cleaners.
- For the remainder of this off season we will honour the rentals that have already been booked but will not be booking any others.
- There are a couple of restaurateurs who have expressed interest in leasing the clubhouse year round. This will be investigated further in the near future.
- Yes, we had a good year but we are not out of the woods yet.
- The changes that were made and with the weather cooperating we were able to pay our back taxes, make our loan payment to the bank and to pay back some of our members but we are still in deep trouble.
- To put it in perspective we have already started to borrow money to get through the winter.
- We will continue to offer discounted adult memberships for first time members, returning members and those under 29 in an effort to grow our membership numbers.
- This season discounted memberships accounted for 52 out of 188 adult members. The real test is to see how many of them return next season without the discount.
- We will continue to look for opportunities to build our membership through special offers and functions that are affordable.
Motion to accept the committee reports as presented.
Moved by Darrell Christo, seconded by Alvin Willard
- A new rate of $300.00 for single and $460.00 for husband and wife for cart memberships was discussed and presented to the membership committee for consideration.
- Pat Elliot has asked to book the members only practice range for his upcoming nuptials 23 July 2011. Congratulations to Pat and his fiancee.
- A number of options to reduce costs were discussed including not cutting the grass every day, not cutting the grass on statutory holidays and shortening the length of the golf season. It was pointed out that this is a very slippery slope. We don=t want the course condition to get to a state that it doesn=t attract membership and green fees.
- A number of board members related their recent experiences on other golf courses and the cut back in services they have mandated, for example; no bar carts, no starters and no marshalls.
- Club storage that includes cleaning may not be sustainable.
- It is important to establish clear hours of operation for the Pro Shop.
Motion to adjourn.
Moved by Brian Flaxey that this meeting be adjourned at 9:00 PM.
The next meeting will be scheduled by the new board as elected at the AGM.